Often people delay starting on a diet or making healthy life choices because they feel so overwhelmed by either how many pounds they have to loose or their ability to stick to a long term plan. So start with small changes and build up to bigger changes over time. Consider starting with these little adjustments that you can start making today.
- Take control of your food environment. Clean out your pantry, refrigerator and even your work space by removing unnecessary tempting food from your sight.
- Keep a food journal, write down everything you eat and drink, you will be amazed of how much during the course of a day that you actually consume.
- Be mindful, don’t eat mindlessly. Don’t eat in front of the TV or computer. Share your meals with a friend in order to slow down, be mindful of how much you are eating, portion control is important.
- Share your desserts and snacks to minimize calories while still enjoying the foods you love to eat. Just take a bite, then hand it off to someone else to finish.
- Keep in mind that food’s purpose is to fuel your body, not give you comfort or reward you. Food is to be enjoyed and connected with what your body needs to function at maximum output.
Look at these small changes as a learning activity to see where you are and where you would like to go with a healthier lifestyle.